Sunday, July 26, 2009

How do I style my unruly, frizzy, tangly hair?

I'm fifteen, and I hate my hair! I'm white, and it's not like an afro, but close. If I don't blow dry it after I wash it, it gets twice as big as my head. If I blow dry it causually, it gets even more frizzy. I have to tediously blow dry it with the brush and stuff. I don't know how to do that, so I have to depend on my mother, when she is free, which is never. I usually pull my hair into a tight bun and hold the front with lots of clips. But I'm sick of looking like somebody's grandma! I want a new hairstyle that allows me to look good with my...for lack of a better word...hair...looks more like a sheep's hide to me...I hate my hair so much...please, please help me...I'll take anything you have to offer...I hate life because of my hair.



How do I style my unruly, frizzy, tangly hair?

Applying a leave in conditioner will often help tame your frizz, without weighing it down too much or leaving it feeling greasy. Some suggested leave in conditioners: Aveda Brilliant Damage Control, Bumble and bumble leave in conditioner with frizz control, or Aussie Hair Insurance. A great product for air drying your hair is Aveda Brilliant Pomades- they come with a humectant for letting your hair dry curly, or anti-humectant if you want your hair to hang straight.



If you want your hair curly (scrunched):



If you're going to blow dry your hair and you want it curly, use a diffuser on the end of your blowdryer. Flip your head over and scruch your hair, but not too much. Dry until your hair is almost dry, and then let air dry the last bit. This prevents frizziness. Use a mousse or pomade for this.



If you want it straight:



If you want to blow dry your hair and you want it straight, use a product that helps with this - Avedea Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade is a good one for this. Use a big round brush and blow dry your hair in sections, following the brush down through your hair. Don't use a diffuser attachement on your hair dryer for this. If you have frizzy hair, this usually makes your hair even more frizzy, so its best to always follow up by flat ironing your hair, and then locking it in with a spray shine.



How do I style my unruly, frizzy, tangly hair?

- Read the book and visit the sites below about curly hair. I did and my once horrible curly hair is now virtually frizz-free ringlets. Now I get compliments on my hair all the time! Straighten your hair- be happy for a day, learn to manage your curly hair- be happy for life!



- To style your hair using the curly-girl method you will need gel, a leave in cream, and conditioner at the minimum. Some less useful, but still nice stuff would be a blowdryer, a diffuser (reduces frizz in curly/wavy hair when used with dryer), and a microfiber hair turban (to dry wet hair while sleeping or in the morning).



-The main philosophy of the curly-girl method is to not use shampoo. This may sound unhygenic but it has actually made my hair less oily and dandruffy. Most shampoos contain some of the same chemicals found in laundry detergent (aka sodium laureth sulfate or anything close to that). They dry out curly hair. Also you shouldn't brush your curly hair dry because it damages the hair and makes it poof.



- Massaging of the scalp with conditioner to remove dirt is all that is needed. It will clean everything but super clingy silicones (cyclopentasiloxane and dimethicone are examples). Then rinse and spread conditioner on the outside layer of hair and the hair at the nape of your neck. Gently comb tangles out with your fingers or a wide toothed comb and rinse with cold/cool water.



- Do not brush/comb your hair after this point because it wil disturb the curl pattern (make sure you already have a part). It is also important to use gel on sopping wet hair and scrunch the hair with your fingers. Make sure gel is distributed everywhere in your hair. If you use too much you can always scrunch out the crunchy texture later.



- Use paper towels or an old t-shirt to gently scrunch some of the water out (generic towels can make hair frizz). Then let your hair air dry or wait ten minutes and then use a blowdryer with a diffuser. Do not touch the hair while it is air drying or it will frizz!



- Use a moisturizing conditioner, such as Desert Essence Organics Italian Red Grape Conditioner (found at health food/organic stores). The combo of products that I use daily is L'Oreal Out of Bed Weightless Texturizer (comes in a black-colored tub) and then Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Gel but there are more conditioners, gels, etc. on the websites.



- I advise against thinning because it will make your ends ratty. Your hair may seem worse at first, but it is just adjusting. This may take 2 to 4 weeks to begin working. I suggest doing a final cleanse with shampoo and stopping the use of any products with silicone in them before, if you decide to no-poo. Hope this helps!



based on the book-



http://www.ylcf.org/gotcurl/



book-



Curly girl by Loirane Massey



curly forum, shopping, and info.-



http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/v...

No comments:

Post a Comment